Humboldt County Social Services Agency

    The Humboldt County Social Services Agency is a crucial governmental organization in California dedicated to providing comprehensive social services to the residents of Humboldt County. Their mission is to promote the well-being, safety, and self-sufficiency of individuals and families in need. With a strong focus on vulnerable populations, the agency offers diverse programs and support services covering protective services, foster care, financial assistance, employment programs, healthcare access, and behavioral health resources. 

    Through collaboration with community organizations, the agency aims to empower individuals and families, reduce disparities, and promote social justice, equality, and fairness. Overall, the agency is vital in enhancing the community’s well-being and creating an environment where everyone can thrive.


    Agency Center

    Office Address

    Phone Number

    Office Hours

    Humboldt County Social Services

    Eureka Office

    929 Koster Street

    Eureka, CA  95501

    (877) 410-8809

    Mon – Fri 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

    Humboldt County Social Services

    Garberville Office

    727 Cedar Street

    Garberville, CA 95542

    (877) 410-8809

    Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri,

    8:30 a.m.-noon, 1-4:30 p.m. 

    Wed. 9:30 a.m. to noon, 1-3:30 p.m. 

    Humboldt County Social Services

    Hoopa Office

    535 Airport Road

    Hoopa, CA 95546

    (877) 410-8809

    Mon – Fri 8:30 a.m.-noon, 1-4 p.m. 

    Please note that the office may be closed on federal holidays.

    Website and Online Services

    The Humboldt County Social Services Agency website, available at, provides valuable information and resources for residents seeking assistance and support. The site offers guidance on the application process and eligibility requirements, along with a resource directory connecting individuals and families to additional support services in healthcare, housing, education, and legal aid. 

    Services Offered

    The Humboldt County Social Services Agency, located in California, offers a range of services to support individuals and families in need. While the specific services may vary over time, some of the common services provided by the agency include:

    • CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids): This program offers temporary financial assistance, employment services, and supportive services to eligible low-income families with children.

    • CalFresh (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program): Formerly known as food stamps, CalFresh provides eligible individuals and families with monthly benefits to purchase nutritious food.

    • Medi-Cal: Humboldt County Social Services Agency assists individuals and families in applying for and accessing Medi-Cal, a state-run healthcare program that provides medical coverage to low-income individuals and families.

    • General Assistance: This program provides temporary financial assistance to individuals who are unable to support themselves and have no other means of income.

    • Child Welfare Services: The agency provides child protective services, foster care, adoption services, and support to families in crisis to ensure the safety and well-being of children.

    • Adult Protective Services: Humboldt County Social Services Agency helps protect vulnerable adults who are elderly or disabled from abuse, neglect, and exploitation. They provide support, investigation, and intervention as needed.

    • In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS): This program offers assistance to elderly, blind, or disabled individuals who need support with activities of daily living. IHSS provides services such as personal care, housekeeping, and meal preparation.

    • Employment Services: The agency offers employment assistance and job training programs to help individuals find and maintain employment.

    • Homeless Assistance: Humboldt County Social Services Agency provides support and resources to individuals and families experiencing homelessness, including emergency shelter referrals, rental assistance, and supportive services.

    It’s important to note that the availability and specific details of these services may change over time. For up-to-date and comprehensive information, it is recommended to visit the official website of the Humboldt County Social Services Agency or contact them directly.

    VI. Appointments and Wait Times

    The Humboldt County Social Services Agency typically operates by appointment to ensure efficient service delivery and minimize wait times. By scheduling appointments, the agency can allocate staff and resources appropriately and provide individualized assistance to clients.

    To access services or seek assistance from the Humboldt County Social Services Agency, it is recommended to contact them directly to inquire about their appointment procedures. They will be able to provide you with specific information regarding scheduling appointments, availability, and any potential wait times that may be associated with accessing their services.


    The reviews express positive and negative feedback about the Humboldt County Social Services Agency. A recent review said that the staff at the agency’s window are kind and genuinely try to assist and guide individuals in accessing the services they need. The reviewers appreciate these levels of support, especially in a rural area, and believe that having more people and places like this in the community would be highly beneficial.


    1. What documents do I need to bring when applying for assistance?

    The required documents may vary depending on the specific program or service you are applying for. Generally, you should bring proof of identity, income, residency, and any other relevant documentation. It’s advisable to contact the agency directly or visit their website to get a comprehensive list of required documents.

    1. How can I apply for CalFresh or other public assistance programs?

    To apply for CalFresh or other public assistance programs, you can visit the agency’s office to complete an application in person or apply online through their website. Alternatively, you may also request an application form by mail or over the phone.

    1. Are there any income eligibility requirements for the services provided?

    Yes, many services have income eligibility requirements. The specific guidelines and thresholds may vary depending on the program. It’s best to consult with the agency or check their website to determine the income limits for the service you are interested in.

    1. How long does it take to process an application?

    The processing time can vary depending on the complexity of the application and the specific program. The agency strives to process applications as efficiently as possible, but it’s advisable to inquire directly with the agency or refer to their website for estimated processing times.

    1. Can I appeal a decision made by the agency regarding my application?

    Yes, if you disagree with a decision made by the agency regarding your application or benefits, you have the right to appeal. The agency can provide you with information on the appeal process and the necessary steps to follow:

    Driving Directions

    If per center is needed: 

    Here are step-by-step directions to the Humboldt County Social Services Agency:


    • Start from your current location and head towards Humboldt County, California.

    • Use GPS or navigation apps to guide you to the agency’s address. You can also use a mapping service to get precise directions based on your starting point.

    • Once you arrive in the vicinity of the agency’s address, look for signs or landmarks that indicate the agency’s location.

    • Park your vehicle in a designated parking area, if available, or find nearby parking options.

    • Approach the main entrance of the agency’s office building.

    • As you enter, you may see a reception or information desk. If so, proceed there to inquire about the specific department or service you need assistance with.

    • If necessary, provide any required identification or documentation to the staff member at the desk.

    • The staff member will guide you further and provide you with instructions on where to go or whom to meet within the agency based on your needs.

    • Follow the directions given by the staff member to locate the appropriate office or department within the agency.

    • Once you reach the designated office or department, check in with the staff or receptionist and inform them of your purpose or appointment.

    • Wait for your turn if there are other people ahead of you. Bring any necessary documents or forms that you may need to provide.

    • When called, proceed to the designated service window or office, where you will receive assistance from a social worker or agency representative.

    • Clearly communicate your needs and provide any required information or documentation to the assigned staff member.

    • The staff member will guide you through the necessary processes, answer your questions, and provide you with the information or assistance you require.

    • If you have any further inquiries or need additional support, feel free to ask the staff member for clarification or guidance.

    • Once you have completed your business with the agency, you can exit the office and return to your vehicle or make your way to your next destination.

    Remember, it’s always a good idea to contact the Humboldt County Social Services Agency directly or visit their official website for any specific instructions, changes in address, or additional information prior to your visit.