The Constitution allows Congress to regulate and tax international imports and exports, with the Department of Commerce being in charge. This is a great way for people who want to run an import-export business because it will allow them to know how to obtain a license for importing and exporting from both the federal government and know what sorts of regulations are required by law. For example, if you wanted something manufactured overseas imported into America, then there would be specific regulations under their control explicitly designed tailored just for your needs!

Obtain Your CIN

You’ll need to have a company identification number or CIN. This is a unique identifier the Department of Commerce can use for tracking your international trade liabilities and activities, but it’s also an important part of getting new business deals done as well! To do so, fill out Form B1-B9 online at their website.

Research Export Controls

The Department of Commerce is responsible for ensuring the safety and security of our country. It’s important to know what products are restricted from being shipped out because it could result in a much more expensive product or even jail time if you’re caught exporting them without permission!

Apply for an Export License

Basic consumer goods such as food, clothes, and footwear can be exported without even a license. If the Department of Commerce’s guidelines state you need to apply for a license before exporting your product, make sure to carefully follow any specific instructions they may have given in addition to this information on their SNAP-R website.

Apply for Import Licenses

Obtain an import license from each country to which you are planning to export. Procedures vary, but you can get assistance by hiring legal counsel in that country or contacting the embassy of that specific nation here in America for help with procedures depending on what your needs are as a business.

Contact Appropriate Agencies

Get the appropriate U.S. import license for the particular goods you plan to import and be aware of whether or not there are any restrictions on what product can qualify as an “import” in your region before proceeding with this process. For example, firearms must clear regulatory laws from both ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco Firearms, and Explosives) And FDA (Food & Drugs Administration), while food items only require clearance by one agency: The Food and Drug Administration.


How can I get an import-export license?

The DGFT website is the best place to find what you need for importing and exporting. If you’re looking specifically for import licenses, select ‘Restricted Item Import License/Restricted Export Item’ from under Services on their homepage.

What are the documents required for export and import licenses?

List of Documents required for Imports Customs Clearance

  • Bill of Entry.
  • Commercial Invoice.
  • Bill of Lading or Airway Bill.
  • Import License.
  • Certificate of Insurance.
  • Letter of Credit or LC.
  • Technical Write-up or Literature (Only required for specific goods)
  • Industrial License (for specific goods)

Which license is required for export?

To help get your import and export business off the ground, you will need an IEC (Import Export Code). DGFT issues this, so it’s easy for them.

Which document is not required for import transactions?

A shipping bill is not required in connection with an import transaction. Among the given option, the shipping bill document is the correct answer.

Owner at | Website | More Articles

Imelda Bouchard is the owner of Gov Relations. She graduated with a degree in Business Administration in Finance​ at the University of Houston-Downtown. Imelda has over a decade of experience working in the finance industry. Following her stint at an international fintech company, she has decided to create a platform where businesses can make use of great business ideas.