Rental Assistance For Disabled People On Social Security

    The US Department of Housing and Urban Development offers housing and rental assistance to disabled individuals. Section 811, Tenant Based Rent Assistance, and Housing Opportunities for People With Disabilities are just some government-funded resources and programs available. The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher is also used to help people struggle with piling rent. Below you will find more information about these programs and other housing and rent assistance options for the disabled. 

    Section 811

    The Section 811 program provides housing facilities for the disabled and rental assistance. It was created by the federal government so that people with disabilities could live in safe, secure, and affordable housing. It increases the supply of affordable rental housing across the nation to help families live independently. Besides providing case management and referrals, section 811 provides free advice and other assistance.

    The government will provide a subsidy for all rent due by the participant. As part of the program, disabled tenants are also eligible for project rental assistance, which will cover the difference between the operating costs of the apartment or home as approved by HUD and the rent contributed by the tenant. A voucher will typically pay 30 percent of the household’s adjusted income. The project rental assistance contract intends to cover up to three years initially. Still, it can be extended if funds become available and if the project participant meets the eligibility criteria.

    Requirements And Where To Apply

    To qualify for Section 811 disability housing assistance, one must meet the following criteria. 

    • At least one member of a household, consisting of a single qualified person, needs to be 18 years old or older to apply for assistance. 
    • One of the members of the household needs to be disabled, such as suffering from a serious medical condition, chronic mental illness, physical handicap, or some type of developmental disability.
    • The applicant must have a low income, which is generally defined as any income that falls below a certain percentage of the median income in the area. 
    • In your state, housing units are owned by private individuals. 

    Contact a local non-profit agency or housing program in your county to apply. 

    Supportive Housing Network

    Supportive Housing Network is another option for people with disabilities looking for housing. The organization is a non-partisan, non-profit organization whose objective is to increase access to affordable housing resources for people with disabilities who are on a low income. Their role is to coordinate and facilitate such resources and programs nationwide.

    The non-profit focuses on the prevention of homelessness as part of its proactive approach when emergency rental assistance or a security deposit is needed—additionally, the non-profit aims to expand affordable and safe housing opportunities to people with disabilities. The assistance is also available to those currently housed in institutions unnecessarily. Socialserve is a resource that the Supportive Housing Network recommends for people with disabilities looking for low-income housing or apartments.

    A few of the services and resources offered by the Supportive Housing Network are information about finding housing or increasing one’s income. The agency may provide information regarding rent assistance programs. They work with various non-profit organizations that provide housing opportunities for the disabled.

    Other Rental Assistance Programs

    Other state and federal government-funded housing resources can include the following, though they are not exclusively targeted toward the needs of the disabled.

    Tenant-Based Rent Assistance (TRBA)

    TRBA usually provides families with vouchers to help them pay their rent. It will pay for the difference between what the apartment costs monthly and what the renter can afford to pay. Some states have much more generous voucher programs in place for the disabled, so they may be able to benefit more.

    Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) 

    The Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) program provides housing assistance for people living with HIV/AIDS, even though it is not technically a resource targeted at the disabled. Assistance from HOPWA may include chemical dependency treatment, psychological treatment, nutritional services, job training and placement assistance, and assistance with daily activities.

    You must be HIV/AIDS positive and meet certain income requirements to be eligible for this program. To be considered for the program, you must meet the income eligibility requirements set by the local administering agency.

    Section 8

    The Section 8 program is the federal government’s principal program for low-income housing. Those in need of assistance can come from any background, not just those who are disabled. These programs help the elderly, low-income individuals, and others make rent and pay for accommodations. Applicants are accepted, and funds and vouchers are administered by public housing agencies (PHAs) throughout the state.

    Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)

    Thousands of Americans face deep rental debt and the threat of evictions and losing basic housing security even as the American economy continues to recover from the pandemic. As a result of COVID-19, a housing crisis pre-dating the pandemic has been exacerbated, which has deep disparities that undermine the strength of an economic recovery that must be inclusive.

    Under the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, funds are available to help households whose rent or utilities are not being paid. The program consists of two components: 

    1. On December 27, 2020, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 was enacted, which provides up to $25 billion for ERA1.
    2. The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, signed into law on March 11, 2021, provides up to $21.55 billion under ERA2

    Direct funding for states, US territories, local governments, and Indian tribes (in the case of ERA1) is provided. Applicants use the funds to provide rental assistance to households with certain eligibility requirements.

    Are you interested in learning more about different grants and programs that can help you with your living situation? Check out the rest of Gov Relations’ blog section today!