If you're one of the millions of Americans receiving SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits, you may wonder where you can use your EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) card to purchase groceries and other essential items.
One store that many SNAP recipients are curious about is Big Lots. So, does Big Lots take EBT? The answer is yes! However, there are some important things you need to know before you head to your local store.
In this article, we'll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about using EBT at Big Lots, including what you can buy with your benefits, how to use your card, and more. So, let's get started!
What You Need to Know About Using EBT at Big Lots
When using EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) at Big Lots, you can buy most food items and some essential items such as soap and toilet paper. You cannot purchase non-food items like pet food, cleaning supplies, or alcohol and tobacco products.
Coupons can be used but with some restrictions, and there may be limits on the amount of food you can purchase. Always keep your receipt and check your balance before shopping.
What Can You Buy with Your EBT Card at Big Lots?
If you're wondering what items you can purchase with your EBT card at Big Lots, the answer is: most food items. According to the USDA, SNAP benefits are utilized for purchasing food for the household, such as:
- Meat and other poultry
- Dairy goods
You can also use your EBT card to purchase other essential items like soap, toothpaste, and toilet paper. However, you cannot use your benefits to purchase non-food items, such as:
- Pet food
- Cleaning supplies
- Alcohol and tobacco products
- Vitamins and supplements
- Hot prepared foods (such as rotisserie chicken)
How to Use Your EBT Card at Big Lots
Using your EBT card at Big Lots is easy. When you're ready to purchase, simply present your card to the cashier at the checkout. The cashier will swipe your card and ask you to enter your PIN (personal identification number) on the keypad. Once you've entered your PIN, the purchase amount will be deducted from your EBT balance.
It's important to note that you cannot use your EBT card to purchase online at Big Lots. EBT can only be used for in-store purchases.
Are There Any Restrictions or Limitations?
Yes, there are some restrictions and limitations when using your EBT card at Big Lots. For example:
- You cannot use your EBT card for delivery or shipping fees.
- You cannot use your EBT card to buy gift cards or prepaid debit cards.
- You cannot use your EBT card to pay for any fees or deposits (such as bottle deposits).
In addition, there may be limits on the amount of food items you can purchase with your EBT benefits. These limits are based on the item's weight, size, and price. If you're unsure about the limits or restrictions on a particular item, ask the cashier for assistance.
Can You Use Coupons with Your EBT Card at Big Lots?
Yes, you can use coupons when using your EBT card at Big Lots. However, there are some restrictions on the types of coupons you can use. For example:
- You cannot use coupons for non-food items like cleaning supplies or pet food.
- You cannot use coupons for hot, prepared foods like a rotisserie chicken.
It's important to note that the value of the coupon will be deducted from the purchase price before your EBT benefits are applied. So, if you have the $1 off coupon for a box of cereal that costs $3, your EBT benefits will only cover the remaining $2.
Does Big Lots Offer Any Special Discounts for EBT Recipients?
While Big Lots doesn't offer any special discounts for EBT recipients, they do have a rewards program called the Big Rewards Program. With this program, you can earn points for every dollar you spend at Big Lots. Once you've earned enough points, you can redeem them for discounts on future purchases.
What Else Do You Need to Know About Using EBT at Big Lots?
Here are a few additional things to keep in mind when you're using your EBT card at Big Lots:
- Always make sure you know your EBT balance before you start shopping. You can check your balance by calling the customer service number on the back of your card or by checking your account online.
- Make sure you keep your receipt after every purchase. This will help you keep track of your EBT balance and ensure that your benefits are being used correctly.
- If you have any questions or concerns about using your EBT card at Big Lots, don't hesitate to ask a store associate for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use my EBT card to buy non-food items at Big Lots?
No, EBT benefits can only be used to purchase food and certain essential items.
2. Can I use my EBT card to pay for shipping fees when I buy online at Big Lots?
No, EBT benefits cannot be used for online purchases at Big Lots.
3. Are there any restrictions on how much food I can purchase with my EBT benefits at Big Lots?
Yes, there may be limits on the amount of food items you can purchase with your EBT benefits. These limits are based on the item's weight, size, and price.
So, if you're a recipient of SNAP benefits and you're wondering if you can use your EBT card at Big Lots, the answer is yes! However, there are some important things you need to know before you start shopping.
Always make sure you know what you can and cannot buy with your benefits, and keep in mind the restrictions and limitations on using your EBT card at Big Lots. By following these guidelines, you can make the most of your benefits and ensure that your purchases are eligible.