Want to get a laptop but don't have enough money for it? If so, you may be eligible to receive free broken laptops through the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) program.
This federal program provides low-income families access to affordable internet and computer devices, making it easier for students to take advantage of online learning opportunities.
Look at the EBB program and how you can get a free laptop for low income families.
What Is The EBB Program?
Access to the internet has become a vital component of our daily lives and, in many cases, a great equalizer of wealth. Any hardworking and creative person can learn a new skill and pursue new ventures on the internet alone.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program (EBB), now called the Affordable Connectivity Program, is an FCC initiative that provides financial assistance to households struggling financially or otherwise unable to afford internet access.
The program offers discounted or free internet and computer devices such as laptops, tablets, and smartphones to eligible low-income households. This will help students stay connected during remote learning studies and assist individuals in pursuing remote work. Entrepreneurial people can even use it to launch an online business.
How Does The EBB Program Work?
With the EBB program, you can get a one-time discount on purchasing a free laptop and an additional discount on broadband connections.
The FCC gives a one-time $100 discount on purchasing a device like a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet. However, you need to contribute at least $10 and no more than $50 towards the device's purchase price.
Technically, it's not a free laptop. But you're only paying a smaller amount than the actual device cost.
Families are limited to only one device per household.
Under the new Affordable Connectivity Program, low-income families will receive a maximum $30 monthly benefit for their internet service bills. This is lower than the $50 benefit from the EBB program.
Households on tribal lands will receive a $75 monthly benefit.
This internet service benefit is valid for only one service per household.
In addition to the service and device discounts, the EBB / ACP program protects consumers from experiencing higher fees outside their ability to pay.
The program ensures consumers won't be forced to more expensive or lower quality plans and won't be liable for early termination fees.
To qualify for the EBB program, applicants must meet specific criteria.
- Income must be below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guideline (FPG),
- Participate in government assistance programs like SNAP, Lifeline, Federal Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC, Veteran or Survivor Pension, or Medicaid.
- Receives benefits from the free and reduced-price school lunch program or school breakfast program
- Recipient of a Federal Pell Grant
- Suffered from substantial income loss due to job loss or furlough since Feb 29, 2020
- Meets eligibility requirements of a provider's low-income or Covid-19 program
To be eligible for the higher benefit for tribal land residents, you must be:
- Living in a qualifying tribal land
- Participate in either Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal TANF, Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, or Tribal Head Start
Applying to this program is easy. You can apply by mail or online or contact your internet company.
You don't need to apply again if you're already enrolled in Lifeline. Here's a step-by-step guide to getting an EBB laptop:
- Check if you meet the qualification requirements. You can visit this ACP webpage to check.
- Apply by completing the form on the ACP website or mailing an application form. Alternatively, you can go to your internet provider and apply for the ACP program.
- To purchase a device, search for companies that offer ACP discounts. You can use ACP's search tool for assistance.
- Wait for the approval of your application.
- Once approved, you can claim your discount from the internet provider or the device store.
Don't be afraid to apply to the EBB / ACP program. If you're already on a government assistance program, there's a huge chance that you'll be approved for this one too.
Enjoy Affordable Internet Access Through EBB / ACP
The internet is no longer a luxury; it's a necessity. Enjoy connectivity at affordable rates through the Affordable Connectivity Program (formerly the EBB program).
Application and approval are easy if you're already on another government assistance program. Just visit their website to apply and learn more.
If you're looking for a free device, check out How To Get A Free Tablet With Food Stamps.