Gov-Relations Logo

Home Improvement Grants For Low-income Veterans

Written by: Jody Adams
Last updated: January 31, 2024

Veterans are eligible for housing benefits as an appreciation for their service to the country. Though there are VA home loans and affordable home insurance rates accessible to them, the  U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) also offers them many grants to do home repairs and improvements for accessibility.

In this article, you'll learn about veteran home repair grants and how they can help you.

Understanding Veteran Home Repair Grants

Veteran home repair grants are an excellent way for veterans to improve their homes. For many veterans, this can be the difference between a livable home and one needing major repairs. 

Veteran housing assistance programs are typically available to veterans who are disabled, elderly, or low-income. The exact eligibility requirements vary from program to program but usually include the following:

  • Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • Must have served in the US military
  • Must have a service-related disability
  • Must be low-income or have a financial hardship
  • Must own and occupy the home

If you meet the eligibility requirements for a veteran home repair grant, the next step is to apply for the grant. The process for applying for a grant can vary but usually involves the following:

  • Contacting your local VA office for more information about the grant program
  • Completing the grant application and submitting any required documents
  • Waiting for the grant committee to review your application and make a decision
  • Then, waiting for the grant funds to be disbursed to you

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant

The Specially Adapted Housing grant is designed to support veterans who suffer from permanent and total disabilities due to service. For instance, this may involve severe burn injuries, loss of limbs, blindness, or a combination of these disabilities.

The main goal of this grant is to help disabled veterans by creating a barrier-free living environment and affording them independent living access that they may not otherwise enjoy.

Some ways they may use the funds from the grants include:

  • Construct a specially-adapted home on land they own
  • Build a specially-adapted home on land that is yet to be purchased
  • Pay for the principal mortgage balance of a specially-adapted home
  • Renovate their current home to become specially-adapted

Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant

The Special Housing Adaptation Grant helps increase mobility in the residences of eligible service members and veterans. In 2021, the grant offered a maximum of $20,215 to its recipients.

Similarly to SAH, SHA is accessible to those with severe burn injuries, loss of limbs, and blindness in both eyes.

The SHA grant may be used for the following:

  • Adapting a home owned or owned by a family member
  • Adapting a new home to be purchased by the veteran or a family member
  • Purchasing a specially-adapted home with features approved by the VA

Temporary Residence Assistance (TRA) Grant

If a veteran temporarily resides in a home owned by a family member, they may be eligible to apply for the Temporary Residence Assistance (TRA) Grant. However, the main qualification for this grant is that they are already eligible for an SHA or SAH grant and that the family member is related by blood, marriage, or adoption.

In 2021, a veteran with SAH grant eligibility received a maximum of $40,637, while those eligible for the SHA grant received up to $7,256.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment offer Housing Adaptation Assistance to individuals who are out of work because of disabilities they got from their service.

The benefits of VR&E are exclusive to those who require housing adaptations to achieve their vocational goals. It is also limited to those who need independence at home or in their community.

This benefits include financial assistance for purchasing and installing ramps, widening doorways, and making other modifications to make the home more accessible for the veteran. The program also provides technical assistance to help veterans identify and select appropriate modifications for their homes.

If your home adaptation plan is approved, you may access up to $90,364.

Home Improvement and Structural Alterations (HISA) Grants

Home Improvement and Structural Alterations (HISA) Grants are a type of financial assistance provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to help veterans and their families make necessary home modifications. The grants are intended to help veterans with service-connected disabilities live in a safe and comfortable home environment.

The HISA grant program can provide up to $6,800 for veterans who need to modify their homes. The grant can be used for a variety of home improvements and structural alterations, including ramps, wheelchair lifts, walk-in showers, and widened doorways. The grant can also be used for minor home repairs, such as replacing broken windows or repairing a leaky roof.

In order to qualify for a HISA grant, veterans must have a service-connected disability as determined by the VA. The veteran must also demonstrate financial need and provide proof of home ownership that needs to be modified.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What home improvement grants are available for low-income veterans in the US?

Home improvement grants for low-income veterans include the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant, the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant, and the Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant, all offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). These grants assist with home modifications or improvements for veterans with service-connected disabilities or other qualifying conditions.

How can low-income veterans apply for these home improvement grants?

To apply for the SAH, SHA, or HISA grants, low-income veterans should visit the VA website or contact their local VA Regional Office. They will need to complete the required application forms, provide documentation of their service-connected disability or qualifying condition, and submit a detailed proposal outlining the planned improvements.

Can these home improvement grants be combined with other financial assistance programs for veterans?

Yes, in some cases, these home improvement grants can be combined with other financial assistance programs, such as VA home loans, to further support low-income veterans in need of housing assistance. Consult with your local VA office or a VA-approved lender to determine which programs may be combined and the specific eligibility criteria for each.

Find The Best Home Repair Grants For You

Veteran home repair grants provide substantial amounts of grant money to help renovate a veteran's home and keep it safe. If eligible for any of these grants, you should consider heading to your local VA office and applying today.

Are you a veteran in need of housing assistance? Check out our article about housing assistance for veterans today.

For more information on free grants for homeowners, check out our guide at Gov Relations today!

Jody Adams
Jody Adams is an accomplished editor-in-chief with a deep understanding of social care and government benefits issues. With a background in journalism and a master's degree in Public Policy, Jody has spent her career shaping the narrative around social policies and their impact on society. She has worked with renowned publications, effectively bridging the gap between complex policy analysis and public understanding. Jody's editorial expertise ensures that vital information on social care and government benefits reaches a broad audience, empowering individuals to make informed decisions.
Gov-Relations Logo
Gov-Relations is where people may seek information on funding opportunities. With our help, we hope our readers are reducing paperwork and simplifying their grant application procedure. We provide data quality reviews, assistance, and informative articles to assist applicants in their journey to completing and submitting grant applications.
(949) 695-8823
17595 Harvard Ave. C2480-B Irvine, CA 92614
© 2024 Gov-Relations. All Rights Reserved.