According to the Broadband Progress Report by the FCC, a staggering 19 million Americans (6% of the U.S. population) still lack access to broadband with baseline speeds. Families with incomes under $30,000 account for the largest share.
Comcast's Xfinity brand is available in nearly 30 million eligible households in 40 states. By participating in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), many Xfinity customers can receive discounts and monthly credit on their internet service.
It provides access to broadband internet service and high-speed internet equipment to low-income households through the U.S. government. As part of the FCC's Affordable Connectivity Program, households can afford to obtain the broadband connectivity they need for work, school, healthcare, and other purposes. There are several ways to qualify for ACP, available to about 48 million households and each household is only limited to one device discount with no activation fees.
Enrolling For The Xfinity ACP Program
With the Affordable Connectivity Program, Xfinity continues to keep Americans connected. Your low-cost internet and mobile services can be credited with up to $30/month under this program. Xfinity customers can apply this credit toward Xfinity Internet, Xfinity Mobile, and Internet Essentials.
If you have not yet obtained Xfinity services, follow the simple steps below:
- Submit applications, eligibility form, or other additional documentation online or mail them through AffordableConnectivity.gov
- Select an Xfinity Internet package (Xfinity Internet Essentials, XFinity Prepaid Internet Kit, or Xfinity Internet Connection) and request Xfinity to apply the monthly discount to your bill
The following process applies to existing Xfinity customers and doesn't cover other internet service providers. The ACP application can be completed using your Xfinity ID.
The National Verifier application must be completed by Xfinity mobile-only customers before they can enroll in the ACP through Xfinity by calling 844-389-4681. Their application ID will be derived from the National Verifier application that has been approved.
Xfinity ACP Program Eligibility Requirements
A household qualifies for the Xfinity ACP Program if your household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or if one or more members of the household meet any of the following eligibility documentation:
- Everyone in your household earns at least twice the Federal Poverty Level
- Can provide proof of household income (such as tax return or three consecutive paystubs, no credit check required)
- Must be a current year recipient of a Federal Pell Grant
- Must meet Xfinity’s eligibility criteria
- Must have assistance from the following programs:
- School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program
- SNAP (Food Stamps)
- Housing Choice Voucher Program Section 8
- Section 811 Project-Based Rental Assistance
- Public Housing
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Veterans Pension or Survivor Benefits
- You live on Qualifying Tribal Land and participate in one of these assistance programs:
You may be eligible for the following benefits:
- Discounted internet service by up to $30 per month on connected devices
- Receive a $75/month discount if you live on tribal land
- Receive a one-time discount of up to $100 if households contribute between $10 and $50 towards the purchase price of a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers
- ACP enrollees may access additional no-cost plans through a separate non-FCC initiative — ACP may cover the full cost of a low-cost service plan
After you enroll in the Xfinity ACP Program, your second month’s bill will show a credit. ACP benefits will be applied to the Internet portion of your bill first if you have both Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Mobile. Xfinity Mobile will receive any remaining ACP benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the frequently asked question about the Xfinity ACP Program:
How long will ACP last?
Just like most federal assistance programs, funding from the federal government is expected to last for several years, so the program will continue as long as funding is provided. At least 30 days prior to the end of the program, enrolled customers will be notified. If you continue to qualify, you will be eligible for an ACP credit, and you may need to confirm your eligibility periodically.
When will the ACP credit appear on my bill?
The ACP credit may appear on your next bill once you receive a confirmation of your enrollment. It may take up to two billing cycles after enrolling for the credit to appear, depending on when you enroll.
Can my internet bill be less than my ACP credit?
You will never be charged more than the monthly cost of Xfinity Internet services if you lease Xfinity equipment or use Xfinity Internet services. Data usage and/or service fee benefits that apply to Xfinity Mobile customers will be automatically applied.
Can Xfinity de-enroll me from ACP credit?
You may be de-enrolled from the Xfinity ACP Program for various reasons, including the following:
-ACP is no longer applicable to you
-If you notified Xfinity to transfer it to another provider
-If you requested the de-enrollment
-You have not used your Internet service in the past 30 days, even if the monthly cost is covered by the ACP benefit.
-You did not refill your 30-day Xfinity Prepaid Internet service within the required timeframe
Can moving impact my Xfinity ACP credit?
Your eligibility for ACP remains the same even if you move. Xfinity may require that you re-enroll at your new address in order to continue receiving benefits. To find out if your new Internet provider is also a participating provider in this federal government program and how to enroll, you should contact them if you move into an area not served by Xfinity.
Continue navigating the world of Xfinity offerings by exploring options that enhance your online connectivity without the extra cost! Discover the convenience of internet access on-the-go with our latest post about obtaining a free Xfinity WiFi pass and stay connected wherever your day takes you.
Successfully enrolled in the Xfinity ACP Program and considering a switch? Navigate the seamless transition without losing your benefits with our guide on how to transfer ACP Benefits to ensure your connectivity assistance continues effortlessly!
If you want to learn about other ACP and government assistance programs, check out our article about Spectrum’s affordable connectivity program. If you are interested in learning more about different grants and programs, read our article about free government cell phones for low-income families.