Table of Contents
- How To Get A Free iPhone 12 From The Government
- How To Apply For A Free Government iPhone 12
- Eligibility Requirements To Get A Free Government iPhone 12
- Document Requirements To Get A Free Government iPhone 12
- Where To Submit Your Free iPhone Application
- 1. Apply Online
- 2. Apply Via Mail
- 3. Apply Via An ACP or Lifeline Service Provider
- The Bottom Line
Apple iPhones can be described as the most popular smartphone model all over the world. With its attractive design, advanced features, high quality, and reliability, it’s no surprise that this phone has a loyal customer base.
Apple is also consistently introducing new iPhone models year after year, and the Apple iPhone 12 is one of the newest models in the market. Because it comes with the latest technology, iPhone 12 comes with quite the price tag, making it unattainable for many people, especially those from low-income households.
With the current government programs offering free phones, is it possible to get a free government iPhone 12?
How To Get A Free iPhone 12 From The Government
The federal government continuously introduces various programs to benefit low-income populations throughout the country. They seek to supplement the needs of these families and help them live comfortable live, and one of the benefits they offer is the government program giving away free phones.
The Lifeline Assistance and the Affordable Connectivity Program are two federal government projects seeking discounts on monthly phone and internet services to eligible households. In partnership with various service providers all over the country, these government phone plans also come with free smartphones, including iPhone models.
Though you can get an iPhone with this government cell phone plan, it is notable that the models are usually older iPhones like the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7. There are rare cases where you can get an iPhone 12, but you can expect this situation to change as newer models are introduced in the next few years.
How To Apply For A Free Government iPhone 12
Before you receive your new iPhone 12 and access your mobile plan discount, you should first start the application process. The instructions must be strictly followed, so you should take note of the following steps carefully.
- Before you start your application, you should ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for Lifeline and ACP.
- Once you have determined your qualifications, you should prepare the unexpired, official documentation confirming that you meet the requirements.
- Start your application with Lifeline, ACP, or partner cell phone carriers.
- Find a Lifeline or ACP phone service provider in your state to get your free government phone delivered.
Eligibility Requirements To Get A Free Government iPhone 12
The first step toward a free iPhone is confirming your eligibility for its fundamental requirements. You must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor. Aside from that, it would help if you met program-specific criteria.
For the Lifeline program, your household must meet at least one of the two main requirements:
1. Your annual household income must be equal to or lower than 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines in the state you are residing in.
2. Your household must be a participant in one or more of the following government programs:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal Head Start
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
For the Affordable Connectivity Program, your household must meet at least one of the following requirements:
1. Your annual household income must be equal to or lower than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines in the state you are residing in.
2. Your household is an active participant in the Lifeline program.
3. Your household participates in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
4. A member of your household received a Pell Grant in the current year.
5. Your household receives the Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program.
Document Requirements To Get A Free Government iPhone 12
Once you’ve secured that you are eligible for the free iPhone offer, you should provide the documents that provide assurance or proof of your claim.
1. You must provide an official document that shows your household income, like the following:
- State, federal or Tribal tax return
- Current income statement from your employer or paycheck stubs
- Unemployment or Workers’ Compensation statement of benefits
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- Divorce decree
- Child support award
2. You must also provide a document with your name, the government assistance program you participate in, and the issue date within the last 12 months.
3. You must submit an official document that validates your identity, particularly your name and date of birth, to verify your age. For example, you may submit the following:
- Government, military, state, or Tribal ID
- Birth Certificate
- Driver’s license
- Government assistance program document
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
Where To Submit Your Free iPhone Application
You have three main ways to begin an application for free government cell phones:
1. Apply Online
To start an application online, you can visit Lifeline or ACP websites and check their application forms. You may be prompted to provide your state or territory, create a new account, and provide the necessary information and documentation. Make sure to fill out everything thoroughly and submit your application.
2. Apply Via Mail
If you are not comfortable filling out an application online, you can also opt to send on via regular mail. You can download and print the Lifeline application and ACP application forms and add copies of your requirements. Once ready, send the package to Lifeline/ACP Support Center, PO Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
3. Apply Via An ACP or Lifeline Service Provider
Your final option for application is to go straight to a carrier that’s a Lifeline or ACP partner. You can check the Lifeline or ACP websites, and their company representatives will guide you.
The Apple iPhone 12 is a great phone, especially if you can get it for free from the government. So, if you meet the eligibility requirements mentioned above, don’t hesitate to begin your application today.
The government provides numerous opportunities for low-income families in need. You may also check out Gov Relations’ guide to free government laptops that you may use for school or work!